Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving


So here I sit...in my dorm (still amusing to say out loud) drinking a cup of coffee on this very frosty, snow dusted Thanksgiving day thinking about how this is the first Thanksgiving in my 32 years on this earth that I haven't been with family.  Wow!  I am constantly reminded of how important family and friends are in my life.  I don't want people to think that I am completely alone and feeling down in the dumps, that's not it all.  The isolation of my situation just often puts me face to face with reflection and in so many ways that has been a blessing and something I am thankful for.  

Being thankful, what does that really mean?  I am not sure I would have fully understood what that meant a year or two ago but through adversity and hardship I have gained insight on thanksgiving, not just the holiday, that has been necessary to my own personal growth.  In the past six months I have known or been an acquaintance of three people who have passed away or are struggling for their lives.  Through such troubling circumstances I am reminded that no matter what situation I am in I at least have the pleasure of walking this earth and enjoying what it has to offer.  My heart goes out to those families who have lost during the holidays and I hope that in some way, with time, they can find thanksgiving.  Sometimes with great loss comes great gain, it just doesn't happen overnight.  I know I am still learning what I am gaining by being in the northwoods of Maine.  I haven't found out yet but will if I can just remain patient.

To all of my family and friends who have supported me over the past year I want to say that I am thankful for each and every one of you.  I could never repay the debt I have accumulated but I know that none of you expect anything in return and that is how I know I am blessed.  I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I look forward to sharing Christmas with you.

D


No comments:

Post a Comment