Thursday, September 26, 2013

Homecoming

Coming home, it is somehow surreal.  I have only been away from Ohio for about two months but it seems like much longer, almost like I was never there at all (if that makes any sense).  I have been so busy with my new job and my growing personal life that I haven't really had much time to think about how much I miss everyone back home.  Today I received an email allowing me to check-in to my flight and it was a relief to know that in about 24 hours I will touch down in Cincinnati, my home.  While I don't miss Ohio, as a thing, I do miss what made Ohio special to me, my friends, family and the comforts of home.

So, what brings me home you might ask?  My best friend Steve and his lovely wife Caitlin's wedding!  Their journey down the altar has been a couple years in the making and I am so honored to be a part of their day and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  Steve and I have been friends for ten years and I will never forget the first time I met him.  I had just accepted my job teaching vocal music at Wayne Local Schools and found out I had an accompanist!  I was overjoyed at the news as I am not the finest piano player on the planet.  I gave him a call and we set up a time to meet at Chili's by the Mall at Fairfield Commons in beautiful Beavercreek, OH.  I was dressed in my usual manner and there sat a man in a Ricky Martin concert t-shirt. Despite our obvious fashion differences, his bold choice of tops that evening still makes me smile.  We talked about things from our favorite music to our backgrounds (very similar by the way).  I vaguely remember a conversation about a composer named Shostakovich that pretty much let me know we were kindred spirits (even though I hadn't heard his music Steve was impressed that I knew who he was).  Steve and I have had many adventures over the past ten years (gnome photography at Meijer with Jason, The Flaming Lips concert and fun times with a certain drummer in the sweetest apartment I have ever had) and even with the distance I look forward to many more.  You're the best and I thank you for all you have done for me!

Luckily I will also have some time to spend with my parents and my friend Barb.  These people are very special to me and while it isn't a lot of time it will be good to see them and talk to them face to face instead of through this computer screen or my trusty iPhone (makes it sound like it needs a name or something).  Ohio is where I was born and raised and I do feel as though a part of me will always remain there (hopefully that makes sense to everyone).  There is so much more I have left to figure out about myself and being here is giving me the time I need to do that.

D

Oh yeah...I just had two students accepted into the Bangor Symphony Youth Philharmonic Orchestra.  One of them is even the principal flute player, or should I say flautist?  Congrats girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment